Lost Elvis at Sea

Lost Elvis at Sea

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Hasta La Proxima Vancouver!

Today is my last day in Vancouver for a while. Tomorrow I fly to Phoenix. The mood is still gloomy with a hint of optimism. The 70% discounts offered by most retailers lures people into the stores and restaurants so it looks somewhat busy. Word on the street is that the worst will be over by May or June and that the US may even see a stable economy by August or September.
Congratulations to Marcia on her new hair salon and her property development in Brazil, to Sabrina on her huge property management deal and to Tammy on her new business "Love on a Leash" and "Ask A Woman Seminar Series" at the Four Seasons. These are some of my dear friends who have not succumbed to the fear mongers.
Vancouver had its third consecutive harsh winter. The snow in the higher elevations (1800 ft above sea level) is starting to melt as the temperatures begin to hit 50F.
During the cold spells I hung out at my favourite restaurants like, Rodney's Oyster Bar, Glowbal (John is one of my favourite chefs), various sushi bars, the Wedgewood Hotel Lounge, Italian Kitchen, the Loden, Hy's and Yew at the Four Seasons.
After a weekend with my girlfriend Dana in Phoenix (including a Suns game and some gorgeous hiking), I will fly to Mexico City via US Airways and then Mexicana to Huatulco. The Mexicana flight from Mexico City to Huatulco goes three times a day and is only $42!
So far, the plan is that by early March we expect to be in El Salvador and Panama by the first week of April.
If Randy gets recalled, we'll have to devise "Plan B".
The optimism in Vancouver, and possibly the spring weather, seem to be lighting the fires of some of my business associates. It looks like I might have to return to Vancouver in mid-March to close an acquisition and attend to some other transactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment