Lost Elvis at Sea

Lost Elvis at Sea

Friday, July 30, 2010

Lost Elvis - Huatulco to Acapulco

This blogsite is very slow to load photos so unfortunately, I don't have any on this blog. Thea arrived in Huatulco from Vancouver via Phoenix and Mexico City. Flying on a US Airways guest pass sounds like a great deal but it's not. When I arrived at the gate in Vancouver (after confirming my reservation over the phone) I was advised that because I was flying to Mexico, I was not permitted to check any bags. Well, our sailing friends know that not checking bags is not an option. We are constantly lugging parts and supplies to our boats. In the end, I convinced them to at least check my bags to Phoenix but that was the end. I had to buy a one way ticket from Phoenix to Mexico City.

Huatulco was as beautiful as I remember but greener due to the seasonal rains. We at tacos al pastor as much as we could. On Sunday we went to Barra de La Cruz to surf with our friends Chad and Tony from "Entonces"; our buddy boat. It was fabulous. I was just playing in the breakers trying to stand up on my board but the boys were out on the point on a left break where the local surfers (1/2 of which were women) would push them out of the line up. As in most line ups, the locals stand their ground. If it were a week day it would have been more tranquilo.

It took us 36 hours to get the boat from Huatulco to Acapulco. Entonces stayed behind due to repairs. It was strange for me because we have two guests who are experienced sailors. All of my normal duties were covered. I slept alot. The weather was typical for this time of year; squalls, south swell; 60% good 40% not so good.

Entonces will meet us in Zihau on Wednesday.

We must have caught Chad's bad fridge karma because we smelled something burning in the main hold of the fridge. It turned out the the thermostat was fried. We got Marcelo and Jorge here at the Acapulco Yacht Club to fix it. It took them all of about an hour and they wanted $200!! We bargained them down to $100 including parts which is still a rip off.

We found Nacho Camacho again but too late. He said he would not have recommended Marcelo and Jorge had he known.

Nacho Comacho is the king of the bay of Acapulco. He is a captain and knows everyone. You can usually find him at Bar Mitla, across from the yacht club. By the way, fellow cruisers, there is a new marina called "Performance Marina" here in Acapulco beside the cruise ship docks. It's all med mooring but they also have mooring balls and a fuel dock.

Tonight its off to watch the cliff divers and off to the fuel docks here at the yacht club at 07:30 before we head to Zihua.

We love Mexico! It's sooooo nice to be back.

Arriba!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment